It is a fruit with a light nutty flavor, but it is used in salads. There are those who love it as a condiment and who can not resist the Guacamole sauce. Can you guess what this food is? Of course, we are talking about the Avocado: the only fruit that, at the same time, it is classified as a vegetable and fat. Find out why ...
Three in one: that's why the avocado is a special fruit!
The avocado (whose original name is "aguacate") has Spanish origins: it was discovered for the first time during the exploration of Central America, in areas known today as Mexico and Guatemala. In the past, the Aztecs and Mayan indigenous people were aware of the benefits and appreciated its special properties.
The avocado is recognized as a fruit for its botanical origin. It is classified as a vegetable, because of its culinary use and is, finally, a fatty food for its nutritional content.
Great for health and diet
Avocado is rich in good fats, especially Omega 3, known for their antioxidant properties and ability to stimulate the production of good cholesterol at the expense of the bad.
The avocado fruit contains vitamin E, glutathione, lutein and phytonutrients: antioxidant elements that counteract free radicals effectively. Thanks to its content of Vitamin D, it facilitates the absorption of calcium and phosphorus, helping you have healthier bones and teeth.
More benefits are guaranteed by the contribution of vitamin A. One hundred grams of avocado contains 14mg of vitamin A, a rate 7 times higher than pineapple.
The properties of avocado
The virtues of avocado are many, here are some:
- Decrease in blood cholesterol (hypercholesterolemia)
- Prevention of diseases caused by the obstruction of the heart and arteries, such as atherosclerosis
- Prevention of cancers of the mouth.
- Alzheimer's Prevention
- Help in the fight against depression
- It is used in nutritional therapy of patients with multiple sclerosis
- Osteoporosis and osteoarthritis contrast
- Decrease itching in dermatitis or skin allergies
- It possesses anti-inflammatory powers
- Regulation of blood sugar levels
A delicious meal? Color your diet with avocado!
A great idea for a light and dietary lunch is to enrich the salad with avocado cut into small pieces. A healthy dish, filling and nutritious.